Annual Exhibition Meeting 2021
The 2021 BSBI Annual Exhibition Meeting (AEM) was, once again, held online due to ongoing Covid restrictions. You can view the exhibits here and you can watch all the talks, and the panel discussion (on how we make the BSBI more diverse and inclusive), on the AEM 2021 Playlist on BSBI's YouTube channel. Find out more about the event on our AEM website.
The 2021 Exhibition Meeting Team were April, Ciara, Ellen, George, Ian, Isobel, Jim, Jodey, Kylie, Leif, Louise, Moira, Ryan, Steve and Tom.
Annual Exhibition Meeting 2020
The 2020 BSBI Annual Exhibition Meeting (AEM) was held online. You can view the exhibits here and you can watch the talks and the panel discussion (on the pros and cons of wildflower seed mixes) on the AEM 2020 Playlist on BSBI's YouTube channel.
The 2020 Exhibition Meeting Team were April, Ellen, George, Ian, Isobel, Jim, Jodey, Joshua A., Joshua S., Kylie, Leif, Louise, Moira, Ryan, Steve and Tom.
The AEM on Twitter
Click here to read what people said about past BSBI Exhibition Meetings on Twitter. You don't need to have a Twitter account to find out what people are saying!
Exhibition Meeting 2019
The 2019 BSBI Annual Exhibition Meeting took place on Saturday 23rd November at the Natural History Museum, London and attracted 237 people over the course of the day. They enjoyed 41 exhibits, six full-length talks, nine lightning talks and two presidential addresses.
For everyone who was able to attend, the abstracts, floorplan and exhibitors' list below should provide a useful aide-memoir - there is so much to take in on the day, it's useful to be able to view websites and social media accounts, or email the exhibitors, once you're back home.
And if you weren't able to attend, the documents below should still be of interest and will give you a taste of what you missed:
- collated abstracts from exhibitors
- floorplan of the exhibition hall
- list of exhibitors with exhibit titles, contact details, website addresses and Twitter handles
You can see images from the day, and read what people were saying, if you click here.
The 2019 Exhibition Meeting Organising Team were Ciara, Ellen, George, Ian, Jodey, Kylie & Louise. We are incredibly grateful to these volunteers for their contributions to a great event!
Exhibition Meeting 2019: talks
Click on the links to view or download pdfs of the talks:
- Natural History Museum’s Urban Nature Project - Robbie Blackhall-Miles
- BSBI Summer Meeting 2019 - David Morris (County Recorder for Oxfordshire)
- BSBI Connemara Meeting 2019 - Helena Crouch (joint County Recorder for Somerset)
- one-minute lightning talks from nine exhibitors
- Gentians of Britain & Ireland - Tim Rich (joint author, BSBI Gentians Handbook)
- Genomics and the nature of species differences in taxonomically complex eyebrights (Euphrasia) - Alex Twyford (RBG Edinburgh)
- The Birth and Evolution of the New Flora of the British Isles - Clive Stace
Exhibition Meeting 2018
The 2018 Exhibition Meeting took place at Edge Hill University, Ormskirk, Lancs. on Saturday 17th November. Click on the links in the programme below to download pdfs of the various talks.
Exhibition Meeting 2018: programme
11.30-12:30 Talks by Edge Hill University researchers and alumni.
Chair: Mary Dean (Edge Hill University/ BSBI Council).
- 11:30 The North West Rare Plants Initiative (Josh Styles).
- 11:45 Large-scale patterns of vascular epiphyte assemblages (Sven Batke).
- 12:00 Long-term change and connectivity in meadows (Elizabeth Sullivan).
- 12:15 A lime cordial… or, Tilia tales! (Carl Barker).
14:00-14:45 AGM of the Botanical Society of Britain & Ireland.
15:30-16.30 Talks by BSBI staff and volunteers.
Chair: Kylie Jones (BSBI Meetings & Communications Committee).
- 15:30 Training the next generation of botanists (Paul Ashton: Head of Biology, Edge Hill University/ Chair, BSBI Training & Education Committee).
- 15:45 BSBI Summer Meeting 2018 (Ian Denholm: Chair, BSBI Board of Trustees & BSBI Meetings & Communications Committee).
- 16:00 Mayo Recording Event 2018: engaging the next generation of botanists (Louise Marsh: BSBI Communications Officer/ Eamonn Delaney, BSBI County Recorder for Mayo).
- 16:15 Atlas 2020 (Kevin Walker: BSBI Head of Science).
Exhibition Meeting 2017
The 2017 Annual Exhibition Meeting (AEM) was held on Saturday, 25th November at the Natural History Museum, London. It attracted 237 visitors.
Click on the links in the programme (below right) to download presentations by our guest speakers.
Click on the links in the exhibit titles (below) to download pdfs of some of the 38 exhibits (more to follow so watch this space!). You can also click through to people's email addresses, Twitter accounts, websites and/ or webpages and posts on the BSBI News & Views blog, all of which will give you lots more background about the exhibits and the exhibitors.
Exhibition Meeting 2017: talks
Click on the links to download the presentations:
- BSBI Summer Meeting 2017 (Jonathan Shanklin, BSBI Field Meetings Secretary)
- The decline of the Rare Flora of Upper Teesdale (Margaret Bradshaw)
- Identification trainers for the future (Alex Mills, Natural History Museum)
- The Threatened Plants Project (Kevin Walker, BSBI Head of Science)
- BSBI’s New Publication (Andrew Branson)
- Building and supporting Ireland’s botanical network (Maria Long, BSBI Irish Officer)
- Growing the next generation of botanists (George Garnett)
- BSBI and botanical training (Mark Duffell, BSBI Training & Education Committee)
AEM 2017 Exhibits
Llangollen Whitebeam (Sorbus cuneifolia) survey 2017 - Tim Rich & Libby Houston.
Atlas 2020: what it's all about, how to get involved - Pete Stroh. On the BSBI website.
Kin recognition and communication in a clonal plant species (Glechoma hederacea) - Ellen Goddard. On Twitter.
Could you be a BSBI Referee? - Jeremy Ison.
Exhibition Meeting 2016
The 2016 AEM was held on Saturday 26th November at the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, Wallingford, Oxfordshire.
To find out about the 38 exhibits and what visitors thought about the AEM, please click here and here. Many of the talks and exhibits have been uploaded so just click on the links below to download the pdf.
Exhibition Meeting 2016: talks
Click on the link to download the talk..
❖ Rare Plant Registers as aids to recording – Polly Spencer-Vellacott (BSBI Welsh Officer).
❖ Do BSBI national field meetings throw up interesting records? – Jon Shanklin (BSBI Field Meetings Secretary).
❖ BSBI and the National Biodiversity Network: from Gateway to Atlas - Jo Judge (CEO, National Biodiversity Network).
❖ BSBI Handbooks as aids to recording – Chris Metherell (BSBI Hon Gen Sec).
❖ BSBI and BRC/CEH: an enduring partnership – Chris Preston (BRC/CEH).
❖ Using BSBI data to monitor vegetation changes – Lucy Ridding (CEH).
❖ Surprising plant records and the botanists who recorded them – Paul Smith (Chair, BSBI Records & Research Committee; BSBI County Recorder for the Outer Hebrides).
❖ The new Rare Arable Flowers App: identifying, recording and conserving one of our most threatened plant groups – Markus Wagner/Karolis Kaslauskis (BRC/CEH).
Keynote lecture: BSBI and BRC/CEH working together - David Roy (BRC/CEH).
Exhibition Meeting 2015
In 2015 the AEM was held at the Natural History Museum, London on 28th November. Presentations from the 2015 AEM are available by clicking on the title in the box below. They can all be downloaded free of charge for non-commercial use.
The images on this page show some of the 205 people who came along on the day and some of the 44 exhibits they enjoyed. We also offered tours of the NHM Herbarium and the Wildlife Garden. Our News & Views blog carried reports about the exhibits and the day’s activities.
Exhibition Meeting 2015: talks
- NORTH: The Shetland Recording Week (Ian Denholm/Lynne Farrell - BSBI).
- EAST: Atlas Recording in Breckland (Ian Woodward - BTO).
- WEST: Recording in the north and west of Ireland (John Faulkner - BSBI).
- SOUTH: Botanising on Jersey (Ian Denholm) and Guernsey (George Garnett).
- Identiplant: online botanical training course (Brenda Harold – Identiplant).
- National Plant Monitoring Scheme: the first year (Oli Pescott).
- BSBI’s New Year Plant Hunt (Ryan Clark).
- 16.00-16.30: Keynote lecture: Alien plants (Mick Crawley - Imperial College).