BSBI currently publishes four main periodicals:
- our new scientific journal British & Irish Botany;
- our membership newsletter BSBI News;
- our monthly BSBI eNews electronic newsletter for all botanical recorders;
- our Yearbook for members.
We also publish four country bulletins. Scroll down to find out more about how you can access all these periodicals. And don't forget that you can keep up with all the latest news from BSBI via our News & Views blog and headlines on our newspage.
British & Irish Botany
British & Irish Botany is BSBI's new open access scientific journal, which replaces New Journal of Botany. Launched in February 2019, British & Irish Botany is free of charge and available to everyone, whether or not you are a BSBI member. This blogpost tells you about the issue 2.1 of the journal, published in February 2020.
Visit the British & Irish Botany website to register as a reader or author, to view the latest issue or to submit a paper. Once you've registered (very quick and easy!), you can either use the simple and straightforward online submission system or send your manuscript to the Editorial Office and we'll do it all for you.
We encourage all British and Irish botanists to consider publishing with us: contact Editor-in-Chief Dr Ian Denholm to discuss your proposal.
BSBI's much-loved membership newsletter BSBI News is published three times a year, in January, April and September, and print copies are mailed out to all our members. An electronic version is also available via our password-protected members-only area. The Editor until November 2019 was Andrew Branson, a long-term BSBI member who was also the former editor of the very popular and prestigious British Wildlife. John Norton has now taken over from Andrew and his first issue as Editor was published in January 2020.
Read about the most recent (September 2020) issue of BSBI News here and then head over here to join BSBI and start receiving issues on a regular basis. You can also view or download a sample issue and we make one full article from each issue available to all.
If you'd like to see the sample issues or the free article, or submit an article, or if you'd like to advertise in BSBI News, head over to our BSBI News page.
It also includes the latest news about BSBI conferences and other events, tells you what's new on the BSBI website and the News & Views blog, and alerts you to opportunities and topical tips for botanical recorders.
Country newsletters & bulletins
BSBI also publishes four annual periodicals covering news, plant records and many other botanical delights from across the countries:
- English Botanical News was launched in May 2020 under the editorship of Jonathan Shanklin with the support of the Committee for England. View or download the first and subsequent issues from the English Botanical News webpage.
- Current and back issues of Irish Botanical News, edited by Paul Green, can be downloaded from the Irish Botanical News webpage. This periodical, published by the Committee for Ireland, has been published annually since 1991.
- The Scottish Newsletter, edited by Angus Hannah, can be downloaded from the Scotland page; or you can find the latest issue, along with all back issues dating back to 1979, on the Scottish Newsletter webpage.
- Current and back issues of the Welsh Bulletin, edited by Richard Pryce, Sally Whyman & Katherine Slade, can be downloaded from the Welsh Bulletin webpage, where you will find every issue from 1964 onwards.
BSBI would like to express its sincere thanks to these six editors who carry out their editorial duties in an entirely voluntary capacity. We are very grateful for their hard work over time and commend them on their excellent periodicals. Take a look and see if you agree!
New Journal of Botany and the BSBI Publications Archive
We also have archives from our former publications New Journal of Botany (NJB) and its predecessor, Watsonia. NJB was published from 2011 to 2017; papers are still available but only to BSBI members - sorry! Find out more here.
Check out our Publications Archive for back copies of Watsonia 1949-2010; Proceedings of the Botanical Society of the British Isles 1954-1969; BSBI Conference Reports 1950-2012; Botanical Exchange Club reports 1867-1946; and the original Journal of Botany 1834-1940.
The Society is grateful to all the authors, editors and reviewers who have contributed to Watsonia, New Journal of Botany and all our other periodicals since our inception in 1836.