In 2019 BSBI Ireland began our 'Aquatic Plant Project' across Ireland to improve aquatic plant identification skills and increase recording. This included a huge campaign of training and recording days, resulting in thousands of new records. We continued the project in 2020 and again in 2021, with new opportunities for people to learn about aquatic plants and get involved with recording. Webinars were recorded and the videos are free to view on the Aquatic Plant Project playlist.
The 2021 programme
- Our first event was a sedge & wetland plant training day on the 2nd July, led by John Faulkner, visiting sites on the Cavan - Monaghan border.
- We held a webinar on Water-starwort Identification on the 5th July. It covered all Water-starworts (Callitriche spp.) you are likely to encounter in Ireland - and Britain! Watch the video.
- On 10th July we learned how to identify Water-crowfoots. Watch the video.
- On 28th July we held a field aquatic plant training day with Cilian Roden & John Conaghan. We visited a site southwest of Carraroe, Connemara, Co. Galway to look for and survey Najas flexilis (Slender Naiad), and learnt how to identify pondweeds (Potamogeton spp.) and other aquatic species - including Potamogeton alpinus (Red Pondweed).
- Our aquatics expert Nick Stewart led field training sessions in Cork, 21st-23rd August; in Waterford, 28th-29th August; and in Co. Kilkenny (in the Inistoge-Thomastown area) on 30th August.
- The final event of 2021 was an Introduction to Broad-leaved Pondweeds webinar by Nick Stewart on the 23rd October. Watch the video.
Thanks to the National Parks and Wildlife Service for funding the project in 2021.
The 2020 programme
We held two webinars led by aquatic plant expert Nick Stewart on Aquatic Plant Identification in 2020:
- Introduction to Aquatic Plant Identification. This webinar covered the main growth forms of aquatic plants, the key features you need to consider, resources to help with identification, and equipment used for sampling. Watch the recording. View the slides.
- Stonewort Identification. Charophytes, or Stoneworts, are complex aquatic green algae which can be tricky to identify, but Nick will guide us through the process. Watch the recording. View the slides.
We also ran our first ever online workshop Aquatic Plant Identification. Nick led a virtual workshop where he went through the process of identifying specimens live using a camera and digital microscope to show key features, and participants were able to ask questions throughout. Some participants even sent specimens to Nick in advance which were used during the session. The workshop was a big success and a great learning opportunity for organisers and attendees alike! We aren't able to share this one online, but are looking to offer more similar opportunities in the future.
Training in Northern Ireland - 2020
Thanks to funding from CEDaR, Nick Stewart to Northern Ireland for a week of work in the Ulster Museum Herbarium in February, where he worked through their collection of aquatic plant specimens and provided small group mentoring to five experienced botanists and recorders. This was followed by an aquatic plant identification workshop at Lough Neagh Discovery Centre, Oxford Island Co. Armagh. While February might not seem like the ideal time to study aquatic plants, 16 people came along for an interesting and informative day, which provided excellent preparation for a summer of recording!
The 2019 programme
The Aquatic Plant Project in 2019 was a huge success, training over 100 people in aquatic plant identification and collecting 6397 aquatic plant records, including 370 new hectad records. In total the project visited 239 sites in 97 hectads across 27 vice-counties.
A huge thanks for this success is due to Paul Green for managing the project, Nick Stewart, Chris Preston, Cillian Roden, and Lynda Weekes for running training and recording days, and of course to the National Parks and Wildlife Service (RoI) and the Centre for Environmental Data and Recording (NI) for their generous funding.
You can read a blog post about the first training day here.
Introduction to Broad-leaved Pondweeds
Introduction to Aquatic Plant Identification
- Aquatic Plant Key to Leaf Form Groups Nick Stewart's simple guide to identifying aquatic plants vegetatively.
- Nick Stewart's Key to Common Stoneworts
- Nick Stewart's keys to aquatic genera including Potamogeton, Myriophyllum.
- Nick Stewart's Intro to Aquatic Plant ID slides for personal study.
- Nick Stewart's Stonewort ID slides for personal study.
- BSBI's Charophyte page.