- Individual: £35/€40 per year.
- Student: £15/€18 (under the age of 25 or a registered student in possession of a student card). Check out what we offer to students.
- Longstanding: £25/€28 (see below).
- Family/Joint Membership: £5/€6, for up to three additional members added to an above membership (no separate mailings)*.
For overseas members, outside of Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, a small annual surcharge of £5/€6 is added for postage costs.
Subscriptions are due on the 1st of January each year. If begun after 1st October, the membership lasts until 31st December of the following year.
*To add additional members to an existing membership, contact our Membership Secretary, Gwynn Ellis.
Benefits of Membership
- Three issues per year of BSBI News, our members' printed newsletter.
- Our monthly eNewsletter, with news and events from the Society.
- Online access to all papers published in New Journal of Botany, our scientific journal which ran from 2011-2017.
- Access to our network of 100+ expert plant referees, on hand to assist you in the identification of difficult groups.
- The BSBI Yearbook which includes full contact details for local groups in your area.
- Discounts on BSBI publications from Summerfield Books such as Grassland plants of the British & Irish lowlands and the latest BSBI Handbooks.
- Access to the full calendar of field meetings, conferences and indoor events run throughout the year.
- Special offers on, and advance notice of, our publications and events.
- Priority status when you apply for grants for training or research.
- Access to fantastic volunteering opportunities with BSBI, the majority of which are exclusive to BSBI members.
All memberships directly support the work of BSBI in studying, understanding and promoting British and Irish wild plants.
You will receive your welcome pack within days of sending in your completed membership form and will then have immediate access to all benefits and services.
BSBI memberships are also available as gifts.
To take a subscription out in the name of a friend or family member, simply select 'gift membership' on the membership form.
In your membership welcome pack:
- The three most recent issues of BSBI News complete with all inserts, such as Summerfield Books' latest catalogue.
- The latest BSBI Yearbook (100+ pages) with full contact details for 112 expert plant referees, 186 County Recorders and all BSBI staff and officers.
- A print copy of So You Want to Know Your Plants.
- A print copy of the BSBI Code of Conduct.
- A BSBI bookmark.
- A print copy of our latest Annual Review.
- A welcome letter with lots more useful info, including the password for the members-only area on this website, so you can access back issues of New Journal of Botany, order BSBI titles at pre-publication/ members-only prices, and much more; and the password for Summerfield Books' BSBI members-only area so you can save money on further BSBI publications and other botany books.
- Essential BSBI paperwork: our Articles of Association, a GiftAid form, etc.
Members who have been with BSBI for at least 10 years, are over 65 and not in full time employment, may apply to Gwynn Ellis (Membership Secretary) to have their subscriptions reduced to a 'Longstanding' rate.
We only hold the information requested in order to manage your membership subscription. We will treat your information as confidential, hold it securely and will never pass it on to third parties. The exception is our Subscriber database which BSBI has checked for full compliance with data protection regulations. The lawful basis for processing these data is defined under GDPR regulations as contractual. You can request to see the data we hold on you at any time and we will remove you from our systems and discontinue contact at your request: just email [email protected] and mark your email 'Unsubscribe'.