- Individual (UK & Ireland): £35 (€40) per year.
- Family: £5 (€6) for each additional member (but no separate mailings).
- Student: £15 (€18) (up to the age of 21 or up to 25 if in full-time education).
- Overseas Individual: £40 (€45).
- Longstanding: £25 (€28) (see below).
- Overseas Longstanding: £30 (€35).
Subscriptions are due on the 1st of January each year. If begun after 1st October, the membership lasts until 31st December of the following year.
How to Join
There are 2 simple steps to join BSBI:
1. Pay your membership fee:
- By Direct Debit
- For UK residents paying in pounds sterling,
click here to pay by Paperless Direct Debit.
For EU residents paying in Euros,
click here to pay by SEPA direct debit.
- By credit or debit card
- Please use the PayPal payment buttons below.
- By Bank Transfer
- Please contact us for our bank account details.
Making an online payment
The secure Paypal system allows you to pay by Debit or Credit card, even if you don’t have a Paypal account.
Please pick your currency, and then use the 'Instructions' field below to add your membership number (if you are renewing your subscription) or to tell us that you are a new member.
Choose Your Subscription Value
The BSBI is a charity and relies on voluntary donations to continue its work. If you can, we ask you to consider increasing the amount you give towards your membership. Any value you pay over and above the cost will be treated as a donation towards the work of the Society.
The Pay Now / Donate button below allows you to input the value you'd like and set your own payment for membership categories. Please use this button to pay any non-standard amount.
Members who have been with BSBI for at least 10 years, are over 65 and not in full time employment, may apply to Gwynn Ellis (Membership Secretary) to have their subscriptions reduced to a 'Longstanding' rate.
All memberships are also available as Gift Memberships.
To take a subscription out in the name of a friend or family member, simply use the Paypal facility on this page to pay for their membership.
Once the form is received, the membership welcome pack will be sent directly to them.
Benefits of Membership
- Three issues per year of BSBI News, our members' newsletters.
- Online access to all papers published in New Journal of Botany, our scientific journal which ran from 2011-2017.
- Access to our network of 100+ expert plant referees, on hand to assist you in the identification of difficult groups.
- The BSBI Yearbook which includes full contact details for local groups in your area.
- Discounts on BSBI publications from Summerfield Books such as Grassland plants of the British & Irish lowlands and the latest BSBI Handbooks.
- Access to the full calendar of field meetings, conferences and indoor events run throughout the year.
- Special offers on, and advance notice of, our publications and events.
- Priority status when you apply for grants for training or research.
- Access to fantastic volunteering opportunities with BSBI, the majority of which are exclusive to BSBI members.
All memberships directly support the work of BSBI in studying, understanding and promoting British and Irish wild plants.
You will receive your welcome pack within days of sending in your completed membership form and will then have immediate access to all benefits and services.
In your membership welcome pack:
- The three most recent issues of BSBI News complete with all inserts, such as Summerfield Books' latest catalogue.
- The latest BSBI Yearbook (100+ pages) with full contact details for 112 expert plant referees, 186 County Recorders and all BSBI staff and officers.
- A print copy of So You Want to Know Your Plants.
- A print copy of the BSBI Code of Conduct.
- A BSBI bookmark.
- A print copy of our latest Annual Review.
- A welcome letter with lots more useful info, including the password for the members-only area on this website, so you can access back issues of New Journal of Botany, order BSBI titles at pre-publication/ members-only prices, and much more; and the password for Summerfield Books' BSBI members-only area so you can save money on further BSBI publications and other botany books.
- Essential BSBI paperwork: our Articles of Association, a GiftAid form, etc.
We only hold the information requested in order to manage your membership subscription. We will treat your information as confidential, hold it securely and will never pass it on to third parties. The exception is our Subscriber database which BSBI has checked for full compliance with data protection regulations. The lawful basis for processing these data is defined under GDPR regulations as contractual. You can request to see the data we hold on you at any time and we will remove you from our systems and discontinue contact at your request: just email [email protected] and mark your email 'Unsubscribe'.