Brief report for 2022: Botanical Recording in Easter Ross v.c. 106
Report by County Recorders Brian Ballinger & Mary Dean:
Mary Dean was appointed joint recorder in 2022
- Total number of records collected in Easter Ross in 2022 has been 6,400 + entered so far. We are grateful to all the contributors
- Projects and Fieldwork.
We led an all-day BSBI field meeting at Alness jointly with the Botanical Society of Scotland and Inverness Botany Group.
BRB led field meetings in Dundee and Invergowrie jointly with the Dundee Naturalists’ Society and the Botanical Society of Scotland.
- Talks (BRB):
Tayside Recorders Day on The Urban Flora project.
Scottish Botanists Conference in Edinburgh on “Vascular Epiphytes in Easter Ross”.
Dundee Naturalists’ Society on “My Lockdown Year “.
- Articles (BRB) (2022)
“Are there Wild Plants on Car Parks”. BSS News 118 25-26
“The Flora of Some Scottish Cemeteries” BSS News 118 13-17 (also an exhibit at the 2021 Scottish Botanists Conference)
“Urban and Rural Flora in Easter Ross part 3 BSS News 13-19 (also an exhibit at the 2021 Scottish Botanists Conference)
“Plants on Urban Walls -Do they Persist” BSS News 119 17-19 (also an exhibit at the 2022 Scottish Botanists’ Conference)
BRB also contribute to the Dundee Naturalists’ Society Newsletter every fortnight, mainly on botanical topics.
- The Easter Ross Plant Checklist was updated in 2022
*NEW* Three posters by Brian Ballinger were displayed at the 2020 Scottish Botanists' Conference:
- A study of the flora of urban walls
- A study of the flora of urban streets - after 19 years
- A survey of town and country walls in Easter Ross
*NEW* Brian Ballinger has been awarded the Dr Patrick McNeill Memorial Award by the Royal Caledonian Horticultural Society in recognition of his contribution to Scottish botany. Find out more here.
Brian Ballinger & Mary Dean
Brian's addresses: 5 Shaftesbury Park, Dundee, DD2 1LB or
Upper flat, Station House, Fearn Station, by Tain, Ross-shire, IV20 1RR
County Recorder's report
Read the 2021 report.
Read the 2020 report.
- *NEW* Vascular epiphytes in Easter Ross (2022)
- Urban and rural flora in Easter Ross
- Railway Station Flora in Easter Ross 2001-2018
- Rare Plant Register 2019
- Article on VC106 recording strategy 2018
- VC 106 Checklist 2022
- Winter recording
- Graveyard Flora of E. Ross
- The Lost Square NH97
- Flora of the Far North Railway Stations
- Plants on walls in Easter Ross