Irish BSBI Conference 2018
This year's Irish BSBI Conference was held on Saturday 24th March at the National Botanic Gardens, Dublin and it was a huge success! Here's the flyer with the programme, so you can see what was on offer, here's the hashtag for the event on Twitter and here's a report about the day's proceedings put together by Jessica, one of the delegates. Click on the links below to download the presentations.
Highlights of the 2018 Conference
- Mike Porter (author of the BSBI Handbook on Violas): A Decade of Violas and a workshop on IDing Violas - using stipules; Separating vegetative Viola reichenbachiana and V. riviniana; V. canina and V. lactea; Separating vegetative V. riviniana and V. canina; Separating vegetative V. odorata and V. hirta.
- Clare Heardman (County Recorder for West Cork): Ellen Hutchins, Ireland's first female botanist.
- Jessica Hamilton (the driving force behind the BSBI Kerry group): Botanical experiences and BSBI Kerry round-up.
- Aoife Delaney: Environmental drivers of biological communities in dune slacks.
- Six flash talks including Robert Northridge: Identifying Trichophorum species; the forthcoming exhibition of the Irish Society of Botanical Artists; Colm Clarke: plant ID in the Dublin BSBI group; Maria Long: Lycopod surveys in conjunction with NPWS funding; Rory Hodd: the often overlooked Killarney Fern gametophyte; Pauline Campbell: the National Plant Monitoring Scheme in Ireland.
- Plus a Database workshop with BSBI Database Officer Tom Humphrey, an Introduction to Identifying Horsetails from John Conaghan, themed walks in the Botanic Gardens led by Matthew Jebb, networking opportunities, food and drinks afterwards...
Irish BSBI Conference 2017
The 2017 Irish BSBI Conference featured a packed line-up of botanical talks and workshops, with something for all skill levels - you can still download pdfs of the talks, just scroll down this page. To find out what people were saying about the event, go to the conference hashtag #IrishBSBIConference or click on this blogpost which summarises some of the feedback.
Talks from the 2017 Conference
Botanising with D.A. Webb - Daniel Kelly
Flash talks – project updates and more:
- The Vascular Plant Red List - Fionnuala O'Neill
- Irish Species Project - John Conaghan
- The BSBI Review - John Faulkner
- Wildflowers of South Armagh booklet - Oisin Duffy
Workshops on tackling tricky plants: