The BSBI's brief covers the vascular plants and charopytes of Britain and Ireland but the charophytes (stoneworts) are often overlooked - they are small and have a reputation for being difficult to identify.
A presentation at the 2016 BSBI Recorders' Conference by Claudia Ferguson-Smyth, one of two BSBI expert referees for charophytes, went some way towards demystifying this group and then BSBI's Irish botanists grasped the nettle, organising two 2-day Charophyte Workshops in May 2018.
Charophytes in Ireland
Read about the 2018 Irish charophyte courses and see feedback from some of the participants here.
Charophytes making the news - Cilian Roden, one of our charophyte experts, contributes to this piece on Lough Carra - in The Irish Times.
*NEW* The first issue of the new CHAROPHYTES newsletter - click on the link to download your free copy!
*NEW* Scroll down for resources to help you record and identify charophytes and for Issue #1 of the new CHAROPHYTES newsletter!
Resources to help you get started with charophytes
- Some info from charophyte expert Nick on how to make or buy a grapnel - an important piece of kit to help you get those charophytes out of the water without getting your feet wet!
- Template for recording Irish charophytes.
- Guidance from Sylvia Reynolds on pressing charophytes.
- Check out this illustrated guide to Polish charophytes.
- Nick Stewart's key to common species of stoneworts is here.
- There's also a BSBI Handbook for charophytes - details here.