Training courses in 2023
On this page we list plant ID training courses run by external providers. Please check the lists below and use the links to find out more and to contact the providers direct about registering for a training course. You may also wish to visit our webpage with details of BSBI's in-house courses and training opportunities. We would also like to point you towards online training courses provided by BSBI member/ botanical trainer Josh Styles at British Botany (Josh was the tutor on our very popular Dandelion and Fern ID online courses).
If you hear of any other plant ID training courses not listed below, please let us know so we can share details on this page but note that we are not endorsing any of these courses, simply providing information.
Short plant ID/ botany courses
There are many short plant ID/ botany courses available from various providers throughout Britain and Ireland. These are a good way to get started, or to learn a new group of plants. BSBI experts teach on many of these. Try...
- Arvensis Ecology
- Ashmolean Natural History Society
- Butterfly Conservation - wildflower ID course
- Edge Hill University
- Edinburgh Napier University - Intro to Sedges (online)
- Field Studies Council
- IT Sligo
- RBG Edinburgh: Certificate in field botany
- RBG Edinburgh: Getting started with botany (online course)
- RBG Kew
- University of Leicester Botanic Garden
- Natural History Society of Northumbria - Taking Botany Further
- Ptyxis Ecology
- South London Botanic Institute
- Species Recovery Trust
- TCV Scotland
- Wildlife Trust for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire & Northamptonshire
Other University courses
There are no longer any universities offering degree courses called simply 'Botany' but the following offer BSc and MSc degrees in plant sciences with some botany/ plant ID/ molecular and crop sciences studies/ herbarium studies: