How to Take Part
The rules are simple to try to keep data comparable between different areas and over different years:
1. Pick one day over the New Year weekend between Friday 1st and Monday 4th January 2016, when the weather is decent enough to record in.
2. Record wild and naturalised plants (but not planted or garden species) in flower. Please check plants are actually flowering – that catkins are open, that grasses have open florets, stigmas or anthers on show etc.
3. Record for up to 3 hours (you can “stop the clock” for tea-breaks and comfort stops!)
4. Send us details of what you saw with photos if possible please: tell us which species you recorded (we can help with identification if you are stuck!), what your name is, and where and when you saw the plants in flower. You can:
- email a list to Ryan and Louise at firstname.lastname@example.org
- use this form to send us your records
- post your finds on the BSBI Facebook page
- tweet them to us at @BSBIbotany using the hashtag #NewYearPlantHunt
You can contribute as many different lists as you like from different areas as long as you don’t exceed the 3 hour limit for each new list.