Below we list all the group Hunts we know about for 2018-9. If you are organising a group Hunt, send us the details and we'll promote your Hunt here. If you don't see a Hunt in your area, try contacting your County Recorder or local botany group and ask if they know of any Hunts where you live.
- VC1 West Cornwall: New Year Plant Hunt in Falmouth on Tuesday 1st January 2019. Meet at 10am at Gyllyngvase long stay car park (free); grid ref: SW80763173. Contact: Ian Bennalick email@example.com.
- VC5 South Somerset: New Year Plant Hunt at Longrun Meadow, Taunton TA1 5AY on Tuesday 1st January 2019. Start at 10.30.Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/297605457553437/
- VC6 North Somerset - scroll down for Bristol meeting.
- VC27 East Norfolk: Alex Prendergast will be out hunting on Tuesday 1st January 2019, setting off from Tasburgh Village Hall at 10am. If you'd like to join him, contact him here.
- VC29 Cambridgeshire: New Year Plant Hunt at Cherry Hinton on Tuesday 1st January 2019, meet at 11am in car park at grid ref TL 479 563; bring own lunch; no dogs please! Hunt organised by Cambridge Natural History Society
- VC32 Northamptonshire: two New Year Plant Hunts, one in Peterborough on Saturday 29th December 2018 and one in Daventry on Sunday 30th December 2018. Contact County Recorder Alyson Freeman firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- VC34 West Gloucestershire: Alex Morss is leading a New Year Plant Hunt in Bristol on Tuesday 1st January 2019. More details here.
- VC38 Warwickshire: Warwickshire Flora Group will be holding a BSBI New Year Plant Hunt on Tuesday January 1st 2019 in Solihull. "We will meet at 10 a.m. in Brueton Park Lake Car Park, 1021 Warwick Road, Solihull, B91 3HG which is not far from the M42 (SP16277900). There is a parking charge of £3.30 for 3 hours which is payable 7 days a week and holidays and like all other Solihull car parks. We will walk through Brueton Park, and into the town covering as many habitats as we can. The Parkridge Centre in the park has assured me that they will be open on New Year's Day, so there should be some toilets and a cup of tea available. The Solihull town centre tetrad is poorly recorded with less than 100 species so we will be square-bashing for species as well as just looking to see how many species are in flower". Contact John & Monika Walton. email@example.com for more details.
- VC53 South Lincolnshire: South Lincolnshire Flora Group is organising a New Year Plant Hunt in Grantham on Monday 31st December 2018; meet at Watergate car-park (entrance only on Watergate SK91313607, exit only on Swinegate) at 10 a.m. This is a pay-and-display car-park with one machine to take change and a second that works with a mobile phone. Parking costs £4.00 for a stay of over 4 hours. Organiser Sarah Lambert (the County Recorder) says "We plan to record in the monad SK9136, which provides the widest range of different habitats. As usual, we'll be recording for three hours, and will stop for a coffee or lunch break at Asda at about midday". If you want to come along, please email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- VC55 Leicestershire: The Leicestershire BSBI group will be holding a New Year Plant Hunt in Leicester on Saturday 29th December 2018. Details here. Contact the group email@example.com for more info and to book.
- VC56 Nottinghamshire: Two New Year Plant Hunts are planned: one on Monday 31st December 2018, start at 11:30, meet at Nottingham Castle gatehouse, SK 569 395 (postcode NG1 6EB); one in Leenside on Tuesday 1st January 2019, start at 11:30, meet at NG2 tram stop, grid ref SK 561 386 (postcode NG2 1EN). More details from Jerry Clough phone 077 9103 4742.
- VC59 South Lancashire: Warrington Plant Group is planning a New Year Plant Hunt on Sunday 30th December 2018 followed by a pub lunch, meet at the General Elliott pub in Croft; more details from Gail Quartly-Bishop.
- VC62 North Yorkshire: Whitby Naturalists are planning a New Year Plant Hunt in Whitby on Sunday 30th December 2018. Meet at the Swing Bridge at 10am. All welcome. More info here.
- VC65 NW Yorkshire: New Year Plant Hunt in Richmond on Monday 31st December 2018, meet in car park next to Old Station cafe at 10.30am. Contact Linda Robinson for more info.
- Laura Cooper is thinking of doing a New Year Plant Hunt in the South Manchester/ Cheshire area; contact her here if interested in joining her.
- VCH1&2 Kerry: two New Year Plant Hunts in the kingdom: Saturday 29th December 2018 at Ballyseedy Woods, Tralee (BSBI Kerry in conjunction with IWT Kerry) meet 11am at southern entrance; Sunday 30th December 2018 (BSBI Kerry) at Muckross, Killarney National Park, meet at 11am in front of the Traditional Farms; more details from Jessica Hamilton.
- VCH3 West Cork: New Year Plant Hunt at Glengarriff Woods, Tuesday 1st January 2019, meet at the Nature Reserve's main entrance at 11am. More details here.
- VCH15-17 Galway: New Year Plant Hunt at Merlin Woods, Galway on Sunday, 30th December, meet at 12 noon. More info here.
- VCH21 Co. Dublin: We know of four New Year Plant Hunts in the Dublin area! Details here:
Sat., 29th Dec. - Hell Fire Club, west of Massy's Wood - Meeting at 11 am at the Hell Fire Club car park (link to location map: https://goo.gl/maps/
Sat. 29th Dec. - Bull Island - Meeting at 11 am at the St. Anne's end of the Causeway Road (link to location map: https://goo.gl/maps/
Sun. 30th Dec. - Ringsend - Meeting at 11 am at Clanna Gael GAA club car park (link to location map: https://goo.gl/maps/
- VCH29 Co. Leitrim: New Year Plant Hunt in Carrick-on-Shannon, Sunday 30th December 2018, meet at 12.00 pm at Esquires cafe (near Tesco) just off the main Dublin Road, in Carrick-on-Shannon. Contact Aoife Delaney for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
- VCH38 Co. Down: two New Year Plant Hunts: Monday 31st December 2018, meet at 14.00 outside the coastguard station in Portaferry; 1st January 2019, meet at 11.00 outside the Tourist Info Office in Newcastle. More info from County Recorder Graham Day email@example.com or BSBI Irish Officer Maria Long firstname.lastname@example.org
- VCH39 Co. Antrim: New Year Plant Hunt at Ballylough Estate, Bushmills on Saturday 29th December 2018. "Planning to start at 11 til 2:15, with refreshment stops on the way. Weather permitting. Parking in the lower yard from 10:45 onwards. Contact is June Traill 0789 99 66 457".
- VCH40 Co. Londonderry: botanist Lorraine Gardner will be doing a New Year Plant Hunt on Sunday 30th December 2018 from 1-4 pm in her two fields of 14-acres near Coleraine. She'd be happy to have some company - email her at email@example.com if interested. Lorraine says " We could meet at the Riverside B&Q car park at 12.30. There are no facilities at site and limited parking so we could share cars".
- VC35 Monmouthshire: New Year Plant Hunt in Usk on Saturday 29th December 2018 organised by Monmouthshire Botany Group. Meet at 10am in the Centenary Hall carpark grid ref SO 377 oo4. More details from MonBot@thenurtons.co.uk
- VC43 Radnorshire: New Year Plant Hunt on 1st Jan 2019, 11am-3pm. Meet at Elan Links Office, Elan Village, Rhayader LD6 5HP Grid Ref SN 93235 64888. Light refreshments provided. Contact Matt Allmark 01597 811527 email: Matthew.firstname.lastname@example.org
- VC50 Denbighshire: New Year Plant Hunt on Sunday 30th December 2018 in Ruthin. Meet at 10.30 for a 11am start in the Craft Centre at SJ 1254 5865 (almost opposite Tesco car park). Bring lunch and warm clothes. Contact Gail Quartly-Bishop email@example.com for more info.