On this page we list all the group New Year Plant Hunts we know about for 1-4 January 2020.
Details are still coming in from organisers and we are making daily updates so please keep checking this page right up until New Year's Eve!
If you are organising a group Hunt, send us the details and we'll promote your Hunt here.
If you don't see a Hunt in your area, try contacting your County Recorder or local botany group and ask if they know of any Hunts where you live. It's also fine to go out on your own or with friends and family - the New Year Plant Hunt is for everyone!
- New Year Plant Hunt at Ham Woods LNR on Wednesday, 1st January. 11.00-14.00. Meet at Ham House, grid ref SX 462 576 for a walk through the woods and adjacent meadow. Appropriate footwear/wellingtons are essential. If of interest, there will also be a wassailing ceremony in the orchard after the plant hunt. No booking required, all welcome. Organised by Chris Vincent for the Friends of Hams Woods.
- New Year Plant Hunt in Exmouth on Saturday, 4th January. Start at 10.00a.m. Meet in the Maer Road car park, SY01108012. More info here. Please contact organiser Tim Purches if you plan to attend.
VC5&6 Somerset: New Year Plant Hunt in Taunton on Saturday, 4th January. Meet at Silkmills Road Park and Ride (park on road off to left just before barrier). Grid ref ST2070 2552. Meet at 11am and finish by 3.30pm. Please bring adequate warm clothing and a packed lunch. No booking required.
VC11&12 Hampshire: New Year Plant Hunts in Southampton on Thursday 2nd January and in Chandler's Ford on Saturday, 4th January with County Recorder Martin Rand. Numbers limited, pre-booking required, both Hunts are weather-dependent. More info here.
- New Year Plant Hunt in Brockwell Park, Lambeth on Wednesday, 1st January. 1100-1300. Organised jointly by South London Botanical Institute and the Friends of Brockwell Park. Meet at the clock tower, near Brockwell Hall. All welcome, no booking required. Led by plant folklore expert Roy Vickery. More info here.
- New Year Plant Hunt at Cobham on Friday, 3rd January. Meet at 10:15 on the NW corner of Tilt Common, Cobham grid ref TQ1146 5967 for a three-hour walk before lunch at The Running Mare. All welcome, no booking required.
- New Year Plant Hunt in Chelsea on Wednesday, 1st January. 10.30-13.30. Meet at Chelsea Embankment Gardens grid ref TQ 279 778. All welcome, no booking required.
- New Year Plant Hunt/mini-Litter Pick on Wednesday, 1st January. 11.00-12.30. Meet at Stonebridge Lock, Watermead Way, N17 0XD. No booking required.
- Two New Year Plant Hunts, one on Wednesday 1st January in rural south Norfolk, one on Thursday 2nd January in Norwich. Organiser: Alex Prendergast. Direct Message him for details.
- New Year Plant Hunt on Thursday 2nd January 10.30am - 1pm around Natural Surroundings and nearby areas of the Bayfield Estate. Natural Surroundings is signed from the minor road between the A148 at Letheringsett and Wiveton / Blakeney. Follow the brown ‘wildflower centre’ signs. Postcode NR25 7JN. No need to book – just turn up on the day, but do wear appropriate footwear (boots or wellies) and warm clothing. More info here.
- New Year Plant Hunt at Earlham Cemetery on Saturday, 4th January. 10.30-12.30. Meet at the Cemetery Office, by Earlham Rd. entrance.
VC29 Cambridgeshire: New Year Plant Hunt at Coton Countryside Reserve on Wednesday, 1st January. More info here.
- New Year Plant Hunt at Brackley on Friday, 3rd January. Start at 11am. Meet on Hinton Road, SP582365, NN13 7EQ where there is on-road parking. All welcome. Contact Alyson Freeman: [email protected] for more info.
- New Year Plant Hunt in Stamford on Saturday, 4th January. Start at 10.00a.m. Meet near the entrance to the Cattle Market car park (PE9 2WB) on Wothorpe Road. No booking required.
VC38 Warwickshire: New Year Plant Hunt in Warwick on Saturday, 4th January. Meet at the Cape Road Car Park at 10 a.m., a car park for council employees during the week, but free at weekends. The postcode for the nearby Cape Road Surgery is CV39 4JP. We will meet at the south end of the car park where the path through Priory Park begins and then walk a route that includes St. Mary’s Church, the Castle Walls and some of the town.
Contact John & Monika Walton: [email protected]
VC53 South Lincolnshire: New Year Plant Hunt on Thursday 2nd January in Sleaford, weather permitting. Meet at 11.00a.m. outside the rear entrance of The Hub, grid ref TF 0699 4578. All welcome. Organiser Sarah Lambert. Direct Message Sarah for more details.
VC55 Leicestershire: New Year Plant Hunt on Thursday 2nd January in Leicester, weather permitting. The VC55 group plan to record in and around Freemen’s Common. Meet in front of the Odeon Luxe cinema, grid ref SK58602,) at 12:00p.m. For more info, email the VC55 Recorders.
VC56 Nottinghamshire: Two New Year Plant Hunts in Nottingham. On Wednesday, 1st January meet at 11.30a.m., start from NG2 tram and follow the Leen towards Radford. On Thursday 2nd January meet at 11.30a.m., start at Castle gatehouse for circuit of town centre. Message Jerry Clough for more info.
VC59 South Lancashire: New Year Plant Hunt in Warrington town centre on Wednesday, 1st January. Meet at 10am outside The Grill on the Square, Palmyra Square, Warrington (WA1 1JQ). Organiser Gail says: "We’ll spend up to three hours pottering about the town and by the river looking at flowers, then go for a roast dinner lunch back at the restaurant at 1pm to celebrate. Please let me know you are coming and whether you want to have lunch, so I can book a table for the right number of people".
Contact Gail Quartly-Bishop: [email protected]
VC62 North-east Yorkshire:
- New Year Plant Hunt in Whitby on Wednesday, 1st January. Meet at 10.00a.m. at the rail crossing near Coates Marine at 10am, end at the Abbey. Organised by Whitby Naturalists.
- New Year Plant Hunt at South Gare on Thursday, 2nd January. Meet at 10.30am at South Gare fishermen's huts. Organised by County Recorder Dave Barlow who found 41 species in bloom here during his 2019 Hunt. Contact Dave for more info.
VC63 South-west Yorkshire: New Year Plant Hunt, Warren Vale, Rawmarsh on Thursday, 2nd January. Meet at 10.30am at Rosehill Victoria Park Car Park, Rawmarsh SK 439 972.
Contact Louise Hill: [email protected]
VC68 Northumbria: Wednesday 1st January: the North East New Year Plant Hunt-off, a collaboration between BSBI and the Natural History Society of Northumbria. Two groups of plant-hunters go head to head. More info here.
VC35 Monmouthshire: New Year Plant Hunt at Caerdeon on Thursday, 2nd January. Meet at 10am at grid ref ST336903.
Book with Elsa by email or phone her on 07849838206.
VC43 Radnorshire: Elan Valley New Year Plant Hunt on Thursday, 2nd January. 1pm - 4pm. Meet at 1pm at Elan Links Office, Elan Village, near Rhayader. LD6 5HP. Grid ref SN 93235 64888. Light refreshments will be provided.
Contact Bonna Williams 01597 811527 [email protected]
VC49 Caernarvonshire: New Year Plant Hunt in Bangor on Friday, 3rd January. Meet at 11am at Porth Penrhyn, Bangor SH593726 and, as it will last for 3 hours, we are allowed to stop the clock for lunch so please bring something to eat and drink. The forecast looks promising but best to come prepared! Led by County Recorder Wendy McCarthy. All welcome, no booking required.
VC50 Denbighshire: New Year Plant Hunt on Saturday 4th January. Bersham near Wrexham. Meet and park in the long lay-by at grid ref SJ 3086 4914 at 10:45 for start at 11am. No booking required. Leader: Martyn Stead.
- Thursday 2nd January at Muckross-Killarey NP. Meet at 11am in front of the traditional farms.
- Saturday 4th January at Ballyseedy Woods, Tralee. Meet at 11am at the southern entrance
VCH38 Co. Down: Three New Year Plant Hunts are planned:
- Wednesday 1st January. Ballywalter. Meet at 11.00 in the car park overlooking the shore at J 6283 6906.
- Thursday 2nd January. Holywood. Meet at 11.00 in the Ballymenoch Park car park at J 4056 7950.
- Friday 3rd January. Hillsborough. Meet at 11.00 in the car park by the lake at J 2434 5840.
All these Hunts are weather dependent. Please contact County Recorder Graham Day to confirm attendance: [email protected]
VC 72 Dumfriesshire: New Year Plant Hunt on Friday 3rd January. Start at 10.30a.m. Meet at Brooms Road Car Park in Dumfries, grid ref NX9753 7583. The Dumfriesshire Botany Group will be leading a three hour walk including the riverside in the town before going to a cafe to discuss the findings. Everyone is welcome especially newcomers. Contact Chris Miles at [email protected] if you would like to join us.
VC73 Kirkcudbrightshire: New Year Plant Hunt on Saturday 4th January. Meet at 10.00a.m. at Abbey Burnfoot grid ref NX 742 448. The organiser is County Recorder David Hawker and he has access permission from MoD Dundrennan to access part of the Range from Abbey Burnfoot to Abbey Point. Directions: Come off the coastal A711 just west of Dundrennan and follow the signpost towards Port Mary; where the road swings sharp left (gate directly ahead before you get there) turn left and then keep going straight ahead, don't turn off to Port Mary! - road gets a bit narrow and rough finally ending up at the gravelly car park beside the burn and sea. All welcome and no need to book but check with David beforehand if the weather looks poor.
VC84 West Lothian: New Year Plant Hunt at Linlithgow on Thursday 2nd January. CANCELLED due to adverse weather Start at 11am. Meet in the car park on St Ninian’s Way at NS997771 (EH49 7HL). This is within walking distance of Linlithgow Rail Station. Estimated finish time 2pm. Children welcome if accompanied by an adult: there will be at least one small baby strapped to a botanist. Email or text Jay on [email protected] or 07854 830 452 if you plan to join.
VC85 Fife & Kinross: New Year Plant Hunt at Dunfermline on Friday 3rd January. Start at 11.00a.m. Meet in the car park at Town Loch, NT100891 (KY12 0HT) by Scottish Water Ski Centre. One or two car share seats are available, picking up at Inverkeithing or Dunfermline rail/bus stations. Estimated finish time 2pm. Children welcome if accompanied by an adult: there will be at least one small baby strapped to a botanist. Email or text Jay on [email protected] or 07854 830 452 if you plan to join.